Amanda-Users

Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option

2005-12-24 03:36:13
Subject: Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:22:09 -0500
Josef,

If I've not followed this thread accurately accept my apologies.

My own personal summary is Greg suggested five combinations
of encryption were easily conceivable and when amanda adds
encryption each of the various combos should be accomodated.

Your view seems to me to be the combo's tagged B, C, and D
offer no benefits over E and thus the amanda user should
be given only the choice of A (no encryption) or E.

I won't comment on the benefits of any combo, just say that
flexibility has been a hallmark of unix from its beginning.
Merely because I or you see no advantage to something does
not mean that no one else will.  Or that someone requirements
might force them to one combo or another.

It seems to me that allowing the flexibility is a win-win
situation.  Aside from your opinion that combos B,C, and D
are redundant or inferior to E, what are your objections
to allowing the amanda user to make their own flexible choice.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)