Amanda-Users

Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option

2005-12-19 13:07:04
Subject: Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option
From: Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>
To: Kevin Till <kevin.till AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:56:26 -0500
I think the essence is that while both are encryption, one is applied
to transport and one to storage.  Thus, were we starting fresh I'd
recommend

  transport_encryption
  storage_encryption

Since we aren't, I think we should go with

  encryption            # transport, but holding disk and tapes are cleartext
  server_storage_encryption     # bits on tape are encrypted by server
  client_storage_encryption     # bits on tape are encrypted by client

This is wordy, and it blurs service and mechanism, but it will help
people to understand what they need.