Amanda-Users

Re: Nothing gets dumped to my vtape

2005-11-28 10:50:09
Subject: Re: Nothing gets dumped to my vtape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:41:41 -0500
On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 05:22:19PM -0700, mindfuq AT verizon DOT net wrote:
> * Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> [2005-11-27 19:08]:
> >
> > Did the "mailto" target get a report from amdump?
>
> Probably not.. I'm not running a local mail server, and it was set to
> send to a local user "amanda".  There aren't even any local tools for
> sending mail.  Do I have to install mail facilities to be able to get
> these reports?

Probably not, you could set up some cron stuff to generate the report
and leave it in a directory somewhere or automagically transfer it
to a machine of your choice.

Is there a local user "amanda"?  Good chance you will need one.

> > If not, you can run amreport/amviewreport from the command line.
>
> amviewreport doesn't exist,

My bad, amviewreport seems to be a shell script in-progress.  I use it
to view the reports rather than remembering the full command lines.

> and amreport seems to require an MTA.

You didn't read the man page closely enough.  It will generate a file
containing a PostScript copy of the report for viewing.

> > It would be good if amanda could contact the host
> > you are trying to backup :))  Better check this out.
>
> I'm trying to keep the scenario as simple as possible so I can just
> see something work, so the server host is the same as the client host.

Amanda still backs up the server as if it were a network client.  So
there can still be "network" problems.

> Is there a daemon process I need to kick off before doing an amdump?

No daemon, just processes kicked of by inetd/xinetd.
You did set that up, correct?

> > Look for logfiles from amdump and debug files from both amcheck
> > and amdump (default location for debug files is in /tmp/amanda
> > but it is a compile time config).    You should find more info
> > in those files.
>
> There is no /tmp/amanda.  I did find a /var/spool/amanda/tmp/dumps,
> but it was empty.

Run "amadmin <your_config> version".  Among the many line of output
will be one like:

       AMANDA_TMPDIR="/tmp/amanda" AMANDA_DBGDIR="/tmp/amanda"

The second one will tell you where the debug files should be.
If there are none there, virtually all amanda commands generate them,
I'd be surprised (or there are permission problems).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)