Amanda-Users

Re: Any experience with the Quantum PX506 or M2500 tape changers?

2005-11-28 10:56:03
Subject: Re: Any experience with the Quantum PX506 or M2500 tape changers?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:50:16 -0500
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:16:55AM -0400, Josh Sholes wrote:
> My organization is considering upgrading from a pair of ancient DLT8000
> standalone drives to a library system.  We'd love to use Amanda, but I can't
> find any documentation on whether or not the Quantum PX206 or M2500 (our
> frontrunner candidates for the new system) are compatible with Amanda.
> Anyone who has any experiences with either of these systems or others in
> their series, if you could ease my mind regarding compatibility I'd really
> appreciate it.

Not used either, so this is just a general statement.

Amanda does not control the drives or changers itself.  It uses system
tools to do that job.  So, if the drives in thoses libraries can be
controlled by mt(1) and the changers controlled with mtx(1) and commands
like dd(1) can read/write tapes in the drives, then amanda can work with
the library.  Note, those three conditions are true for the vast majority
of SCSI connected libraries.  In fact, I don't recall hearing of any that
don't work though I suspect there are some.

I think the mtx program maintainers keep on their website a list of
changers confirmed to work with mtx.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)