Amanda-Users

Re: Nothing gets dumped to my vtape

2005-11-27 16:46:39
Subject: Re: Nothing gets dumped to my vtape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:39:24 -0500
On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 04:14:50PM -0700, mindfuq AT verizon DOT net wrote:
> I created a configuration in a folder named "sandbox", which should
> simply backup my .emacs file in my user area.
>
> Running "amdump sandbox" runs for a minute or so, then returns to the
> prompt with no output messages.  /media/amandatapes/data contains some
> files such as:
>
>   00000-SandBox1
>   00000.SandBox1
>   00001-TAPEEND
>   00001.TAPEEND
>
> A couple of the files simply contain something like: "AMANDA: TAPESTART
> DATE 20051127 TAPE SandBox1", but there is no data backed up.  Am I
> looking in the wrong place, or did an unreported error occur?

Did the "mailto" target get a report from amdump?

If not, you can run amreport/amviewreport from the command line.

> Another clue.. when I run "amcheck sandbox" the errors are gone, but I
> get a warning:
>
>   AMANDA backup client hosts check
>   --------------------------------
>   Warning: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>   Client check: 1 host checked in 30.051 seconds, 1 problem found

It would be good if amanda could contact the host
you are trying to backup :))  Better check this out.

Look for logfiles from amdump and debug files from both amcheck
and amdump (default location for debug files is in /tmp/amanda
but it is a compile time config).    You should find more info
in those files.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)