Amanda-Users

Re: Nothing gets dumped to my vtape

2005-11-27 17:31:40
Subject: Re: Nothing gets dumped to my vtape
From: mindfuq AT verizon DOT net
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:22:19 -0700
* Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> [2005-11-27 19:08]:

> Did the "mailto" target get a report from amdump?

Probably not.. I'm not running a local mail server, and it was set to
send to a local user "amanda".  There aren't even any local tools for
sending mail.  Do I have to install mail facilities to be able to get
these reports?

> If not, you can run amreport/amviewreport from the command line.

amviewreport doesn't exist, and amreport seems to require an MTA.

> It would be good if amanda could contact the host
> you are trying to backup :))  Better check this out.

I'm trying to keep the scenario as simple as possible so I can just
see something work, so the server host is the same as the client
host.  Is there a daemon process I need to kick off before doing an
amdump?

> Look for logfiles from amdump and debug files from both amcheck
> and amdump (default location for debug files is in /tmp/amanda
> but it is a compile time config).    You should find more info
> in those files.

There is no /tmp/amanda.  I did find a /var/spool/amanda/tmp/dumps,
but it was empty.