Amanda-Users

Re: amanda over wireless network

2005-11-18 14:26:02
Subject: Re: amanda over wireless network
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:15:17 +0100
Paul Yeatman wrote:

There is a firewall on both sides but I have had the client side
firewall off for the purpose of this test and the server side firewall
isn't blocking any outbound activity.

Possibly as best evidence (as mentioned in my original post and I feel
bad that in my last reply I didn't include my original post and all
replies), I have made one successful backup of this client using this
config but only when trying to backup less than the full partition.  In
the successful case, it was a 3G directory.  Yet every time I've tried
to back up the full partition (17G), I can't get past a successful
estimate even when increasing the etimeout from 900s to 2600s.  I would
conclude from the successful case that the firewall is not
interferring.

I think the firewall is the cullprit.
The server sends a UDP packet with the request for the estimate.
When finished the client sends a reply UDP back.
But by that time the firewall does not relate the reply to the request
and drops or denies the packet.  And hence the client does not receive
an ACK and retries 3 times to send the reply and gives up.