Amanda-Users

Re: amanda over wireless network

2005-11-18 18:49:42
Subject: Re: amanda over wireless network
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:40:27 -0500
On Friday 18 November 2005 17:52, Paul Yeatman wrote:
>  --received from Gene Heskett--

>> >ISTR someone having a problem with a network setting that caused
>> >connection drops if there was no activity for a particular period.
>> >Could it be something like this, not dealing with amanda at all?
>> >
>> >IIRC the poster was going to try to setup a heartbeat application
>> >running whenever amanda was to try and keep their connection up.
>>
>> I don't recall seeing a message indicating that it worked, so either
>> it did, or that user gave up.
>>
>> Here is what I would do:
>>
>> In roots crontab, setup a ping to the other address over the rf link,
>> using the -i300 option which would ping the other machine at 5 minute
>> intervals.  Then, after amdump is done, have it do a 'killall ping'.
>>
>> Or one could use the -c36 number option to have it die after say 36
>> pings which would be 3 hours.  Lots of ways to do that & I'm just
>> thinking
>> out loud.
>>
>> Start this about 1 minute before amdump is fired off by the users
>> crontab that runs amdump.
>>
>> And after you have verified that it works, put a redirect to
>> /dev/null in roots crontab entry to kill the email you'll get from
>> it.
>>
>> HTH.
>
>Just to make sure I'm following, the point of this is to make sure that
>the (wireless) internet connection with the laptop is never lost for
>more than 5 minutes?
>
>Paul

No, the point is to make sure it never lost _anytime_ during the backups
"getting it all in one sock" delays, whether its estimate time, or
waiting for tar to make the tarball of a 19Gb tree followed by gzip
-best to smunch a 19 Gb file tar has handed to it.

I suggested 5 minutes, but it might take less to do a full keepalive.
Also a possible consideration is the packet type, it should be a udp,
and without checking the manpages, I don't recall if ping's default
protocol is udp or icmp.  So ping might not be the best choice unless
your version of it can be switched with a cli option like traceroute can
be on most platforms.  Ping would be the easiest because cli options can
control the interval, and the number of pings, while other methods might
need a short script written to duplicate those functions.

HTH.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: