Amanda-Users

Re: amanda over wireless network

2005-11-17 04:58:36
Subject: Re: amanda over wireless network
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:44:54 +0100
Paul Yeatman wrote:
Hi, don't seem to find much concerning "wireless" when searching the
mailing list.

I'm attempting an amanda backup of a computer on the wireless network
for the first time.  Just preceeding this is compiling amanda on an
Apple powerpc and getting that to work.  This has gone well.  The
number of Apple laptops in our research group has been noticably
increasing as has the need for a way to back them up.  I'd like to use
amanda for this if I can make it work.  Adding to this is that several
such Apple laptop users have so far exclusively used the wireless
network.  I'm just now experimenting with whether it will work to back
up these laptops over a wireless network using amanda.

It should work, but I'm not sure what happens to the ether when 10
laptops start sending each 10 gigabyte over the precious resource like
the shared radiowaves all accessing the Access Point.
Lot's of collisions I guess.
I still remember when we did not have switch, only hubs (10Mb), and all ethernet packets where seen by all computers (only 20 or so!). Copying
anything larger than 100 megabyte over the network made the rest of the
network crawl like a snail.

I have successfully performed this feat on a home directory just over 3
gigs.  When I try the full "/" partiion (17 gigs), however. it times
out during the estimate.  I had already increased the estimate timeout
on the server side to be 900s.  From where it appears to be failing,
given the amandad log on the client, increasing the timeout limit more
won't help

        .
        .
        .
        Amanda 2.4 REP HANDLE 001-3003BD2A55000000 SEQ 1132177077
        OPTIONS features=fffffeff9ffe7f;
        / 0 SIZE 17648380
        ----

        amandad: time 1249.536: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds

Seems that the estimate took 1249 seconds, and indeed, 349 seconds
earlier, the server gave up waiting for this client.
You should increase etimeout to at least 1300 (better double that,
because next time, amanda could ask an estimate for level 0, level N,
and level N+1 for each disklistentry!)

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *