Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with Incremental Backups

2005-08-09 00:11:03
Subject: Re: Problems with Incremental Backups
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 23:56:49 -0400
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:33:26PM +1000, Haroon Anwar enlightened us:
> I am having problem with incremental backups. Every
> thing is working
> fine. I force full backup of all my servers on
> Saturday. From Sunday
> to Friday I am taking incremental backup.
>
> It is working fine. But, what my understanding of
> incremental backup
> is, starting from level 0 backup, amanda will backup
> only those files
> which change. It should backup only the difference or
> the changes. But
> this does not seem to be happening. E.g, One of my
> server disk is 18G.
> On Saturday I backup 18G. But on Sunday, I expect
> amanda to backup
> only the difference. But, its backing up around 10G
> still and I dont
> think that the data on the server disk change that
> much. All the other
> servers are behaving in the same manner.
>
> Can someone help me how can I achieve only to backup
> the new files or
> the files that change when the incremental backup
> kicks off.
>
> I force incremental backups by putting no-full line in
> global secation
> of the dumptype and inhereting global settings in the
> other dumptypes.

First, you're really fighting what amanda was designed to do...you're trying
to make "her" do what you want instead of letting her do her own thing.

That being said, I would look at the 10GB of files and see what is causing
them to be backed up. There are several things that could cause this, such
as some script that accesses the files (changing their atime attribute,
causing them to be considered new), etc. I would examine what processes are
running on your servers that might be modifying the files in such a manner
to get at the root of the problem.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak