Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with Incremental Backups

2005-08-10 21:46:23
Subject: Re: Problems with Incremental Backups
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:32:34 -0400
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:41:23AM +1000, Haroon Anwar enlightened us:
> Thanks for you reply. Just got a question, what if I
> mount filesystems with the "noatime" options so that
> when it accesses a file it does not update the atime
> on the inode? What will amanda do then? Work on file
> size?
> Is there any way, I can force amanda to work on file
> size rather than on the basis of "atime"  for the
> incremental backups.

[hyclak@euclid ~]$ echo 'hello' > foo.txt
[hyclak@euclid ~]$ ls -l foo.txt
-rw-r--r--  1 hyclak faculty 6 Aug 10 21:28 foo.txt
[hyclak@euclid ~]$ echo 'help!' > foo.txt
[hyclak@euclid ~]$ ls -l foo.txt
-rw-r--r--  1 hyclak faculty 6 Aug 10 21:29 foo.txt

Notice that the file size is still 6 for both versions of that file. You
probably don't want to only back up based on size.

Anyway, it may not be atime that's being modified, it could be the mtime or
maybe even ctime. You're going to have to figure out what it is that is
causing the files to change. Ignoring files that don't change size is a bad
way to fix the problem.

Perhaps someone else can jump in here with a better knowledge of filesystem
internals.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak