Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with Incremental Backups

2005-08-10 23:24:12
Subject: Re: Problems with Incremental Backups
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Haroon Anwar <hilarious_nick AT yahoo.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:07:29 -0500
--On Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:41:23 +1000 Haroon Anwar <hilarious_nick AT
yahoo.com DOT au> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Thanks for you reply. Just got a question, what if I
> mount filesystems with the "noatime" options so that
> when it accesses a file it does not update the atime
> on the inode? What will amanda do then? Work on file
> size?
> Is there any way, I can force amanda to work on file
> size rather than on the basis of "atime"  for the
> incremental backups.

Amanda (or more accurately, dump or tar) doesn't care about
atime. I have atime updates disabled on my NFS servers to
improve performance (with the tradeoff of loss of information
on how recently files were accessed) and incremental backups
work as expected.
atime is the last time a file was read
mtime is the last time the data in a file was written (either originally
  or modified)
ctime is the last time the file's inode was modified

Things that change mtime also change ctime, but not the other
way around, i.e. editing will update the mtime, which also causes
a change in the ctime.  Changing the ownership or permissions,
however, only updates the ctime and not the mtime.

dump uses ctime, tar can use ctime or mtime depending on the options
used, but I believe for --listed-incremental (the way Amanda calls it)
it uses ctime.

As someone else pointed out, you don't want to use file size as a
criteria, much can change and still have the same size.

Since you said your full backup was 18 GB and your incremental was
only 10GB, you must actually be doing incrementals (or it would have
been 18GB also), so something is modifying nearly half of your data.
   It could be a process that chowns some directories, or even that
you are archiving part of your data onto the same filesystem and
have one huge file that is always 'new' even though its components
are mostly the same data.  Another possibility is something like a
CVS tree that gets cleaned and checked out making the files appear
new.

Try looking at the indexes of what is on your incremental and see
what is there, and then figure out what makes it appear 'new'.

Frank