Amanda-Users

Problems with Incremental Backups

2005-08-08 22:50:26
Subject: Problems with Incremental Backups
From: Haroon Anwar <hilarious_nick AT yahoo.com DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:33:26 +1000 (EST)
Hi,

I am having problem with incremental backups. Every
thing is working
fine. I force full backup of all my servers on
Saturday. From Sunday
to Friday I am taking incremental backup.

It is working fine. But, what my understanding of
incremental backup
is, starting from level 0 backup, amanda will backup
only those files
which change. It should backup only the difference or
the changes. But
this does not seem to be happening. E.g, One of my
server disk is 18G.
On Saturday I backup 18G. But on Sunday, I expect
amanda to backup
only the difference. But, its backing up around 10G
still and I dont
think that the data on the server disk change that
much. All the other
servers are behaving in the same manner.

Can someone help me how can I achieve only to backup
the new files or
the files that change when the incremental backup
kicks off.

I force incremental backups by putting no-full line in
global secation
of the dumptype and inhereting global settings in the
other dumptypes.

Thanks

Regards

Haroon