Amanda-Users

Re: exclude list optional not working?

2005-07-05 21:22:01
Subject: Re: exclude list optional not working?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:14:19 +0200
Graeme Humphries wrote:
I'd rather just have any permission related error ignored if the
optional keyword is used. Is there a situation where we *would* want it
to hard error out on an optional exclude list if it can't get into the
directory the exclude list is supposed to be in?

Amanda will not complain
- if the exclude file on the client is not there at all
  In this case amanda can construct a gtar argument list that does
  not contain the exclude list of a non-existing file.
- or if the file is not readable: in that case amanda trusts the
  suid-root runtar executable so that gnutar can read the contents of
  the file, never mind the permissions.

But Amanda does need to verify if the file is there or not, otherwise
gnutar will complain about having handed a nonexisting file in the
argument list.