Amanda-Users

Re: exclude list optional not working?

2005-07-05 12:53:53
Subject: Re: exclude list optional not working?
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:47:59 -0600
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:41 -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
> amcheck runs as your Amanda user and may not have permissions to the
> directory where your exclude file lives.

I *thought* I had amanda running as root on the client, but I may be
wrong. It doesn't complain that it can't access any of those shares,
which only root should be able to have full access to.

>   'optional' just means it's ok to not be there, but 'permission denied'
> is an error and Amanda reports it as such.

That's not what the online man page seems to say:

"If optional is specified for exclude list, then amcheck will not
complain if the file doesn't exist or is not readable."

The file is not readable (permission denied entering the directory that
contains is). Maybe it only checks for permission problems on the exact
file, and not on containing directories?

Graeme