Amanda-Users

Re: Adding new stuff to disklist

2005-04-04 13:32:40
Subject: Re: Adding new stuff to disklist
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: Peter Kunst <pkunst AT imagnos DOT com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:12:40 -0400
Peter Kunst wrote:

Vicki Stanfield wrote:

I discovered that some things on a remote machine were not being backed up. Some things on that same machine were but not everything that should be.

that stuff that wasn't backed up, was there an entry (DLE) of it in
the disklist of your current config ?

No, not until I added it.

i read "NOTE:" in front of those lines. nothing to wonder about, those
dirs will be created on the next amanda amdump run. "FATAL", "ERROR" or
the like would be much more bad

Thanks. That clears it up. I didn't expect to have a file on my amanda host to correspond to the remote files being backed up. I need to read up on the Amanda client package I guess.

I obviously have another knowledge gap when it comes to how amanda works. I expected that it would go to the system in question with ssh and tar across the necessary stuff. Evidently I am wrong. Can someone give me a brief explanation of the process that amanda goes through to back up a remote system?

using tar dumptypes or (ufs)dump dumptypes, amanda connects to amandad
of a client, runs gtar, dump/ufsdump locally and streams output of the
client to your amanda server host.
for Windows shares, amanda uses smbclient, which can run on your amanda
server or another amanda client which connects to the Windows share and
puts it onto your amanda server.

Thanks again. That is pretty clear.

amanda takes some time to understand. for me, it tooks around 6 weeks,
and i still do not understand how amanda schedules fulls/incrementals.
I DO know that amanda does a very good job here.

 Peter

Thanks very much. It makes sense to me now. I feel like Amanda is doing a good job, but I think there is a lot more to know. ;-)

Vicki