Amanda-Users

Re: Adding new stuff to disklist

2005-04-04 19:27:07
Subject: Re: Adding new stuff to disklist
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:20:54 -0400
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:31:06AM -0700, Kevin Dalley wrote:
> Amanda should be clearer on this issue.  I think that there is one
> similar case where amanda says that the file/directory will be created
> next time around.  However, the log directory won't be created, if you
> add a new config.  This is confusing.

I think there is a very significant difference.  In the case of the logdir,
indexdir, and infofile (actually a directory), these are settings in the
amanda.conf file and specify places that amanda will use to store lots of
data and log files.  Amanda will not create these parameter specified
repositories and will not run if they do not exist.

The OP of this thread received a NOTE about missing data and log files,
not the top level directories specified in the amanda.conf file.  These
are missing because a DLE was added to the disklist.  amanda will happily
create the logs for any DLE in the when it does run, but it does not create
the directory to hold all of the many DLE logs.

One reason for the NOTE is the possibility of an editing error when someone
changes the disklist.  Suppose you changed the dumptype or spindle number
or ??? of an existing DLE.  And further, you changed, without intending to,
the host or tag or directory for that DLE.  To amanda, it would look like
a new entry in the disklist and you would get the warning perhaps alerting
you to your error.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)