Amanda-Users

Re: IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)

2005-04-04 09:19:55
Subject: Re: IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:07:10 -0400
Jon,

You are right, while I did put the script under /etc/rc2.d I should
have put only a link there, I was being lazy and wanted to get it into
the boot but didn't take the extra minute to do it right.

I had considered the cron script, since the jukebox/sdlt are used only
for amanda I thought a single boot time mod would be sufficient and was
debating with myself on the level of paranoia I wanted. I'm still not
sure about it, its almost certainly overkill but the cost is insignificant.

I need a new moto, "Best practices every day. Junk mail does right
into recycling. The clean clothes go into the dresser..."

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 06:26:22PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:42:01PM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >
> > I have since created a file to set the blocksize on the drive at boot
> > /etc/rc2.d/S99fix-tape (IRIX doesn't have any files in the rc3.d/
> > directory, it seems to live multiuser at level 2 as far as I can tell).
> > [Ah, # man init, 2 is multiuser, 3 starts file sharing and other daemons.]
> >

> Couple of minor items.  I'm assuming that IRIX is similar to the SysVR4 type
> unicies that I've used for its organization of rc scripts.  Generally the
> original script is put into an init.d directory, probably off of /etc.  There
> it lacks the "S#" or "K#" prefix.  Then appropriately named links are created
> in the rc#.d directories.  Some hard link, others symbolic link.  Check your
> local practice.
>
> Having all the scripts in a single place (eg. /etc/init.d) allows simpler
> modification and location.  Eg. I need that tape block size setting script,
> where was it, which rc directory?  No need to ask, just go to /etc/init.d.
> It also lets other scripts reference the file at a known name and location.
> Ex. I have a restart sendmail script that calls "/etc/init.d/sendmail stop"
> then "/etc/init.d/sendmail start"
>

> Second, if it is really important to amanda to have the block size set
> correctly, is it really sufficient to simply set it just at boot time.
> What if it gets modified by some malicious or unknowing person after
> the system is booted.  Perhaps your amanda cron entries should have
> something like ? ? ? ? ? /etc/init.d/fix-tape ; amcheck DS1 -m
> to set the tape right before each amanda cmd.
>
> jl
> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
>  JG Computing
>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org