Amanda-Users

Re: IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)

2005-04-01 18:36:35
Subject: Re: IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 18:26:22 -0500
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:42:01PM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> I have since created a file to set the blocksize on the drive at boot
> /etc/rc2.d/S99fix-tape (IRIX doesn't have any files in the rc3.d/
> directory, it seems to live multiuser at level 2 as far as I can tell).
> [Ah, # man init, 2 is multiuser, 3 starts file sharing and other daemons.]

Couple of minor items.  I'm assuming that IRIX is similar to the SysVR4 type
unicies that I've used for its organization of rc scripts.  Generally the
original script is put into an init.d directory, probably off of /etc.  There
it lacks the "S#" or "K#" prefix.  Then appropriately named links are created
in the rc#.d directories.  Some hard link, others symbolic link.  Check your
local practice.

Having all the scripts in a single place (eg. /etc/init.d) allows simpler
modification and location.  Eg. I need that tape block size setting script,
where was it, which rc directory?  No need to ask, just go to /etc/init.d.
It also lets other scripts reference the file at a known name and location.
Ex. I have a restart sendmail script that calls "/etc/init.d/sendmail stop"
then "/etc/init.d/sendmail start"

Second, if it is really important to amanda to have the block size set
correctly, is it really sufficient to simply set it just at boot time.
What if it gets modified by some malicious or unknowing person after
the system is booted.  Perhaps your amanda cron entries should have
something like ? ? ? ? ? /etc/init.d/fix-tape ; amcheck DS1 -m
to set the tape right before each amanda cmd.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)