Amanda-Users

Re: IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)

2005-04-01 15:05:53
Subject: Re: IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>, AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:58:59 -0500
Jean-Francois,

> Did you try a variable block size tape device, ie tps7d4nrnsv

No, I hadn't but as soon as I transmitted the message I realized
that it wasn't an xfsdump problem either.

The DLE I was trying to read used a dump type of TAR rather than DUMP,
once I tried to read the tar file with tar it worked perfectly.

The second test was to read a second partition, one that was written
with DUMP, with dump as the reading utility, that also worked.

Now I just need to put the setblksz in the system boot as we should
be all set. That and repopulate the disklist which I trimmed during
the previous weeks of testing.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:52:34PM -0500, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
> * Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org> [20050401 14:42]:
> >
> > IRIX     6.5.25, upgraded today from 6.5.19
> > Amanda   2.4.4p1-20030716
> >

> > Though perhaps we should choose a different value.
> >
> > samar 83# ls -l /dev/sdlt2
> > lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys           19 Apr  1 13:25 /dev/sdlt2 ->
> > /dev/rmt/tps7d4nrns
> >
> > samar 81# mt -f /dev/sdlt2 status
> >         Controller: SCSI
> >         Device: QUANTUM: SDLT320         3838±8
> >         Drive type: unknown
> >         Media : READY, writable, not at BOT, block 1
> >
> > samar 82# mt -f /dev/sdlt2 blksiz
> >
> >  Recommended tape I/O size: 204800 bytes (400 512-byte blocks)
> >  Minimum block size: 4 byte(s)
> >  Maximum block size: 16777212 bytes
> >  Current block size: 32768 byte(s)
> >
> > Anyway - it seems to work and I am able to use amrestore to pull
> > a DLE back from tape to disk. For the first time/finally.
> >
> > But I'm unable to read the restored file, either from the copy
> > of the file on disk or directly using the amrestore -p and a
> > pipe to xfsrestore.
> >
> > samar 84# xfsrestore -if samar._usr5_tapu.20050401.1 /usr5/dumps/restore
> > xfsrestore: using file dump (drive_simple) strategy
> > xfsrestore: version 3.0 - type ^C for status and control
> > xfsrestore: searching media for dump
> > xfsrestore: ERROR: media file header checksum error
> >  :
> >  :
> > xfsrestore: ERROR: media file header checksum error
> > xfsrestore: ERROR: media file header magic number mismatch
> > xfsrestore: restore complete: 1 seconds elapsed
> > xfsrestore: Restore Summary:
> > xfsrestore:   stream 0 (pid 6245) /tmp/restore/samar._usr5_tapu.20050401.1
> > OK (success)
> > xfsrestore: Restore Status: SUCCESS
> >
> > Any idea what is wrong with the dump file ? Suspect its not an amanda
> > issue but thought I'd ask.
>
> Did you try a variable block size tape device, ie tps7d4nrnsv
>
> jf
>

> >                                             thank you,
> >
> >                                             Brian
> > ---
> >    Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
> >    Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
> >    Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
> >    NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773
>
> --
> <° ><
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org