Amanda-Users

IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)

2005-04-01 14:48:32
Subject: IRIX/amanda, new scsi card (!!!)
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:42:25 -0500
IRIX     6.5.25, upgraded today from 6.5.19
Amanda   2.4.4p1-20030716

Hello amanda users,

This will sound familiar to some of you, at least its good news,
of a sort.

This is likely an SGI question, but I thought I'd see if it
sounded familiar to anyone and wanted to also thank you again
for your previous help on this issue (several months ago, I've
been waiting for a hardwar delivery).

Remember that SGI Origin 300, SCSI daisy-chain to raid array, to
sdlt/jukebox to sdlt/shoebox. It violated the length of the scsi
chain, it shouldn't have but it turned out the robot was narrow
and that had a big effect on the bus.

Well, the new pci-scsi card came in and we installed it. IRIX will
not see the card under 6.5.19 but did after an upgrade to 6.5.25.

Modified amanda.conf to see the sdlt/jukebox on the new bus, all
other devices where left on the original bus. Both buses are now
within legal parameters.

I reset the blocksize on the tape drive, will need to do this
after each reboot apparently. # mt -f /dev/rmt/tps7d4nrns setblksz 32768

Though perhaps we should choose a different value.

samar 83# ls -l /dev/sdlt2
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys           19 Apr  1 13:25 /dev/sdlt2 ->
/dev/rmt/tps7d4nrns

samar 81# mt -f /dev/sdlt2 status
        Controller: SCSI
        Device: QUANTUM: SDLT320         3838±8
        Drive type: unknown
        Media : READY, writable, not at BOT, block 1

samar 82# mt -f /dev/sdlt2 blksiz

 Recommended tape I/O size: 204800 bytes (400 512-byte blocks)
 Minimum block size: 4 byte(s)
 Maximum block size: 16777212 bytes
 Current block size: 32768 byte(s)

Anyway - it seems to work and I am able to use amrestore to pull
a DLE back from tape to disk. For the first time/finally.

But I'm unable to read the restored file, either from the copy
of the file on disk or directly using the amrestore -p and a
pipe to xfsrestore.

samar 84# xfsrestore -if samar._usr5_tapu.20050401.1 /usr5/dumps/restore
xfsrestore: using file dump (drive_simple) strategy
xfsrestore: version 3.0 - type ^C for status and control
xfsrestore: searching media for dump
xfsrestore: ERROR: media file header checksum error
 :
 :
xfsrestore: ERROR: media file header checksum error
xfsrestore: ERROR: media file header magic number mismatch
xfsrestore: restore complete: 1 seconds elapsed
xfsrestore: Restore Summary:
xfsrestore:   stream 0 (pid 6245) /tmp/restore/samar._usr5_tapu.20050401.1 OK
(success)
xfsrestore: Restore Status: SUCCESS

Any idea what is wrong with the dump file ? Suspect its not an amanda
issue but thought I'd ask.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org