Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Compression

2004-09-23 12:33:14
Subject: Re: Amanda Compression
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:33:12 +0200
Ivan Petrovich wrote:

My claim was based on experience of running a test configuration once,
and observing an 8-hr run time, then after turning off software
compression, observing that the time was reduced in half. I
immediately abandoned software compression.

Are you suggesting that once Amanda has run once (for 8 hrs, using
gzip both in "estimate" and "dump"), it should not need to run gzip
for the estimate phase ever again, and will therefore only take the
"normal" amount of time (4 hrs, using gzip only for "dump") to
run?

Software compression is never done in the estimate phase, not
even the first one.

The very first estimate gets multiplied by the "comprate" factor (see
amanda.conf).  The next ones are from the accumulated history of
the real dumps.  (See "amadmin ConFig info host /disk")

About slow estimates:  gnutar can be slow if there are lots of small
files in the DLE during estimate.  dump in all variants (ufsdump etc)
needs only a fraction of time for these filesystems.
Suggestions have been made (and maybe being experimented/implemented)
to allow for less accurate but much quicker estimates, using only
historical data.  This is not in the 2.4.4p3 code.