Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Compression

2004-09-23 11:08:47
Subject: Re: Amanda Compression
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:59:36 -0400
Paul,

The circle-K was as non-amanda as the Kelvin comment, just couldn't
let it go by.

Its one of the symbols (by one of the multiple authorities) that
oversee/verify Jewish Kosher food preparation (kosher being "legal,
within guidelines", not necessarilly related to food, there are other
[many other] things that can be regulated. Other authorities use different
symbols).

Of course I now have to meantion a "D" within a square (which unless
I'm mistaken is an aproval symbol for electrical devices by a specific
testing company.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 04:51:34PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Brian Cuttler wrote:
>
> > As long as you are willing to use two letter symbols why not
> > Kb - 1024 bits
> > KB - 1024 bytes
>
> There is an international standard about this, and it is pretty
> precise about the case sensitivity too:
>
> "kilo" needs to be a lower "k" in the official standard.
> However, Ki (binary kilo = 1024) is with upper case.
>
> see:  http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html
>
> (and numerous other sites -- the real official standard is not
> online:  I can't verify there.)
>
> But amanda is case insensitive for [kmg] and mulplies by 1024 too.
>

> > ...Unless of course the K is within a circle. Then it means something
> > else entirely.
>
> K within a circle???  I already know C, R within a circle, but
> not heard of K with a circle.  Ready to learn more :-)
>

> --
> Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                            Tel  +32 16 397.511
> Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512
> http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com
> * I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, F6, *
> * quit,  ZZ, :q, :q!,  M-Z, ^X^C,  logoff, logout, close, bye,  /bye, *
> * stop, end, F3, ~., ^]c, +++ ATH, disconnect, halt,  abort,  hangup, *
> * PF4, F20, ^X^X, :D::D, KJOB, F14-f-e, F8-e,  kill -1 $$,  shutdown, *
> * kill -9 1,  Alt-F4,  Ctrl-Alt-Del,  AltGr-NumLock,  Stop-A,  ...    *
> * ...  "Are you sure?"  ...   YES   ...   Phew ...   I'm out          *

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org