Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Compression

2004-09-23 10:19:27
Subject: Re: Amanda Compression
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:12:23 -0400
As long as you are willing to use two letter symbols why not
Kb - 1024 bits
KB - 1024 bytes

The "k" is meaningless without the second designator and you are
already case sensitive...

"K" is Kelvin ?

...Unless of course the K is within a circle. Then it means something
else entirely.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:19:06PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> > Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > >
> > > That's just the difference between GiB and GB :-)
> >
> > That's exactly what I mean.
> >
> > Manufactures of tapes and disks use the ISO standard where K=1000 etc.
> > While you can't blame them for misinformation (it is an international
> > standard), they ignore the fact that most computer-users use K=1024.
> >
> > That's why Amendment 2 of IEC 60027-2 is proposed (Ki=1024, or k=1000
> > and K=1024, etc.).
>
> No, K is Kelvin :-)
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>                                               Geert
>
> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT
> linux-m68k DOT org
>
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like
> that.
>                                                           -- Linus Torvalds
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org