Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Compression

2004-09-23 10:45:29
Subject: Re: Amanda Compression
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Ivan Petrovich <laveer AT tuphaan.engr.wichita DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:32:03 +0200
Ivan Petrovich wrote:

The problem I have with using software compression is that it adds
several hours to the "estimate phase." Am I doing something wrong? Does
Amanda run the gzip ones to get the output size before running gzip
again when performing the actual dump?

Strange, because during the estimate phase, software compression is not
used.  Amanda keeps a history of compression ratios, and guesses the
compression ratio for that run from that history.  (See also the
"comprate" parameter in amanda.conf.)

What makes you believe in thinking software compression makes estimate slow?