Amanda-Users

Re: NFS mount as second holding disk

2003-10-23 14:04:16
Subject: Re: NFS mount as second holding disk
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: Dan Willis <dannowwillis AT att DOT net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:57:36 -0700
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:32:31AM -0500, Dan Willis wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used an NFS mount as a secondary holding disk?

I currently am.  Actually it's the *only* holdingdisk. :-)

> Can backups still be run through dump or should they all be tar going
> this route?

Makes absolutely no difference.  It's just holdingdisk, ordinary file
open/write/read, nothing special from a functionality POV.

> Or is this just not advisable at all?

As long as you've comprehended the bandwidth costs, there is no
particular problem.  In my case, I'm taking about a 25% backup window
elapsed time hit, but a cheap 200GB IDE disk in a castoff Linux box is
freeing up six very expensive Solaris fibre-channel disks for other
purposes.  (As soon as I get around to acquiring GB-E and HVD SCSI
cards for the linux box, *it* becomes the new Amanda server and the
25% hit goes away...)

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461