Amanda-Users

Re: NFS mount as second holding disk

2003-10-23 22:25:23
Subject: Re: NFS mount as second holding disk
From: Dan Willis <dannowwillis AT att DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:24:10 -0500
Thanks to everyone who responded.

My Amanda server is RH9 using the 2.4.3 amanda packages included with the distribution (head hung in shame after reading a couple of days of posts...). One client box is RH 7.3 with the 2.4.2 rh packages, one is RH9 with the 2.4.3 rh packages and the remaining boxes (to be added to the disklist later) are RH 9 as well. The largest partition I'm trying to backup is actually an SMB mount on a Windows 2000 server.

I've stuck with hardware compression so far because all of these boxes are pretty old and slow (I've borrowed a Compaq SDLT220 tape drive for testing purposes while I try to get the nearly $5,000 purchase approved- the tape unit will be the most valuable piece of the whole setup!).

I knew that an NFS mount couldn't be backed up with dump- I wasn't sure how an NFS holding disk would factor in. I take it that tar is the preferred backup method for ext3 filesystems? My initial config used dump on the non-SMB partitions, but I can quickly change over to tar.

At 07:35 PM 10/23/2003, you wrote:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:53:32PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 23 October 2003 09:32, Dan Willis wrote:
> >Hello. I am still experimenting with my Amanda setup. I have
[clip]
> Generally speaking, dump is not the prefered utility for use with
> amanda.  We seem to have gradually come to prefer tar, in any version
> 1.13-19 or higher.

Gene, though that is the conventional wisdom for Linux ext2/ext3
because of kernel buffer inconsistency issues, I don't think Dan
mentioned his OS; for some OS's, like Solaris, (ufs)dump is arguably
the preferred solution unless you require excludes or subdirectories.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461