Amanda-Users

Re: NFS mount as second holding disk

2003-10-24 10:16:00
Subject: Re: NFS mount as second holding disk
From: Hans Kinwel <hansk AT cistron DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:06:40 +0200
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:05:57PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Generally speaking, dump is not the prefered utility for use with
> >> amanda.  We seem to have gradually come to prefer tar, in any
> >> version 1.13-19 or higher.

and

> Most of the comments I've read on this list from folks who have run
> dump, seem to be less than enthusiastic after it bites them in a
> recovery attempt.

and more.

Personally, I am a content dump user and I never had any problem
recovering.  As far as I remember I have not seen any, or more than tar,
failed recovery attempts on this mailinglist.

Last week I decided to find out about the dump scare, as I seemed to
remember that someone on this list said that dump is more or less as
safe as tar is, given normal usage.

Despite all my searching, I couldn't find that message on the list again.
However, I found something better: the official word from the dump
authors.

Here it is.  http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html

I encourage anyone interested to read it.