Amanda-Users

Samba - which does compress-client-best point to?

2003-10-23 14:38:07
Subject: Samba - which does compress-client-best point to?
From: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:31:09 -0700
System:
RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.19
amanda 2.4.2p2, samba 2.2.6

I've been backing up several Windows machines for a while now (months).
Recently, I've been getting cramped with tape space, so I added
"compress-client-best" to my samba-pc dump type.

However, while watching amanda perform the dump, it seems as if the linux
server is compressing the data, and not the windows client.  The more I
think about it, the more it makes sense, since amanda treats the smbclient
connection as an ftp connection rather than an amanda client machine.  So
the amanda server itself is the client, and the server in one for the samba
backups (right?)

But, my amanda server is slow.  So the PC stays connected while the dumper
compresses the dumped files.  Would the dumper relinquish the machine faster
if I used compress-svr-fast vs. compress-client-fast?

-Rob