Amanda-Users

Re: Backup plan needs advice.

2003-06-24 14:09:14
Subject: Re: Backup plan needs advice.
From: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:05:00 -0700
Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:12:01AM -0700, bao wrote:
Hi Martin

I forgot to state that this is a tapeless setup to back up to disk. Then the full backup will be transferred to tape,
and also is kept on disk for one week.

I am _not_ letting Amanda schedule as to when to do a full backup, as is recommended. What I want (actually, my boss) is to force it to run a full every Monday, then a level 1 every other day for the rest of
the week, according to the most recent Monday.

I hope the above helps clarify it.

I'm not familiar with the various "strategy" and other related options,
but can you set a strategy that always does a "no-full" or "only-incremental"
AND can also be forced with amadmin to do full dumps on demand?
Jon, I am reluctant to try that, although I agree that it is a good candidate. This is because we had to do a recover yesterday, when I didn't think that the system was ready for it. Such a relief that it worked, because a major part of the data was deleted accidentally :)

Back to my question, if I configure it as you suggested, would the incrementals have any idea of the previous forced full dump, and continue on from that point? Or would they go on after
the ...very first full backup??

If yes, perhaps you can use just a single configuration.  The incremental only
strategy would only cause incrementals daily except the one following your
forced "amadmin full"  Then dump that "file tape" to real tape.

If the answer to the question above is yes, then it would also work with two configurations (and if the incrementals have an idea about the full). If so, the next question arises is do I need to have "record yes" in the full config, in order for the incrementals to know??

Thanks Jon.