Amanda-Users

Re: Backup plan needs advice.

2003-06-24 13:07:31
Subject: Re: Backup plan needs advice.
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:57:32 +0100
Bao

Amanda will need two separate config's to do this, BUT they will have idea of each others existance so the 'daily' will to full backups as and when the amanda planner thinks it's time to do one.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

bao wrote:
Hello,

After a very long and hard time struggling with Amanda, I figured out that it's the Athlon bug, and have switched to an Intel. Now it works. However, I am still confused of some things regarding the backup
plan, and hope someone will help me answer them.

I would like to back up everyday, in incremental, and a weekly full backup once a week, on a specified day. Let the full be on Monday, and the incrementals be on the rest of the week. I now have to configs:

1. Weekly: has dumpcycle=0, runspercycle=1, tapecycle=1, strategy=noinc, index=yes, and record=no 2. Daily: has dumpcycle=7, runspercycle=6, tapecycle=6, strategy=nofull, , index=yes, record=yes

The Weekly full will call amadmin to set to run level 0 before it runs.

Q1: If I want the incrementals of a week to follow from that week's full, how do I set the record?? (Mon : level 0, Tues-Sun : level 1 - backing up any changes from the most recent Monday)

Q2. The Weekly full backup will be transferred to tape with a cycle of 8 tapes, then rotate. What do I need to copy to tape beside the backup image?? index ?? log ?? debug files ??

Thank you all,

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com