Amanda-Users

Backup plan needs advice.

2003-06-24 12:41:54
Subject: Backup plan needs advice.
From: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:38:20 -0700
Hello,

After a very long and hard time struggling with Amanda, I figured out that it's the Athlon bug, and have switched to an Intel. Now it works. However, I am still confused of some things regarding the backup
plan, and hope someone will help me answer them.

I would like to back up everyday, in incremental, and a weekly full backup once a week, on a specified day. Let the full be on Monday, and the incrementals be on the rest of the week. I now have to configs:

1. Weekly: has dumpcycle=0, runspercycle=1, tapecycle=1, strategy=noinc, index=yes, and record=no 2. Daily: has dumpcycle=7, runspercycle=6, tapecycle=6, strategy=nofull, , index=yes, record=yes

The Weekly full will call amadmin to set to run level 0 before it runs.

Q1: If I want the incrementals of a week to follow from that week's full, how do I set the record?? (Mon : level 0, Tues-Sun : level 1 - backing up any changes from the most recent Monday)

Q2. The Weekly full backup will be transferred to tape with a cycle of 8 tapes, then rotate. What do I need to copy to tape beside the backup image?? index ?? log ?? debug files ??

Thank you all,