Amanda-Users

Re: Backup plan needs advice.

2003-06-24 23:11:14
Subject: Re: Backup plan needs advice.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:07:03 -0400
On Tuesday 24 June 2003 17:14, bao wrote:
>Sorry I should have answered your other questions in the same email.
> But I just...saw them :)
>
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>On Tuesday 24 June 2003 12:38, bao wrote:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>After a very long and hard time struggling with Amanda, I figured
>>>out that it's the Athlon bug, and have
>>>switched to an Intel. Now it works.
>>
>>The Athlon Bug?  Sorry, please elucidate on this subject, its
>> entirely new to me as I have been running amanda on an Athlon
>> DX1600 for 2 years with no problems I didn't create.  Likewise for
>> around 3 years on a K6-II and then a K6-III.
>>
>>>However, I am still confused of
>>>some things regarding the backup
>>>plan, and hope someone will help me answer them.
>>>
>>>I would like to back up everyday, in incremental, and a weekly
>>> full backup once a week, on a specified
>>>day. Let the full be on Monday, and the incrementals be on the
>>> rest of the week. I now have to configs:
>>
>>I believe the word is two?
>>
>>>1. Weekly: has dumpcycle=0, runspercycle=1, tapecycle=1,
>>>strategy=noinc, index=yes, and record=no
>>>2. Daily:  has dumpcycle=7, runspercycle=6, tapecycle=6,
>>>strategy=nofull, , index=yes, record=yes
>>>
>>>The Weekly full will call amadmin to set to run level 0 before it
>>>runs.
>>>
>>>Q1: If I want the incrementals of a week to follow from that
>>> week's full, how do I set the record??
>>>(Mon : level 0, Tues-Sun : level 1 - backing up any changes from
>>> the most recent Monday)
>>>
>>>Q2. The Weekly full backup will be transferred to tape with a
>>> cycle of 8 tapes, then rotate. What do
>>>I need to copy to tape beside the backup image?? index ?? log ??
>>>debug files ??
>>>
>>>Thank you all,
>>
>>Me, gets up on shaky old soapbox.
>>
>>While amanda can be forced to do it that way, thats not how amanda
>> was designed to run.
>
>I guess, _whispering_, that my boss is too cheap to get a commercial
>product that suits
>his needs. Everyone has been asking me, "Why not let Amanda do it
> her way?". My answer is: "My boss says, 'Why not let it work MY
> way??' " I give up. ;)

He should price knox's arkeia, or veritas, heck even bru.  I think any
of those would be easier to make fit that mold.

And obviously the 'Boss' has *his* way carved in granite.  But that
wouldn't stop me from chipping away at it every chance I had. :)

>>Whats wrong with letting amanda do it her way?
>
>Letting Amanda do it her way will scatter the full backup out to
> many tapes (I believe).

This is true.  But you could point out that if one tape is lost,
everything is not lost like it would be if something should fubar the
full backup he wants.

>And yes, we want a bulky full backup each week, then many small
>incremantals during the
>weekdays. We don't mind about inefficient usage of tape. The weekly
> will stay on disk, and
>also go to tape. BTW, that weekly copy will be erased as the tapes
>rotate. The incrementals
>stay on disk for quick recovery from disk instead of from slow tape.
>The weekly stays on disk for the same purpose.
>
>>The result is the same in that you'll have a good backup strategy
[...]
>One reason for doing it this way is: If the full runs on a holiday
> when no one is in,
>it is left on the disk and we have six full days to flush it to tape
> by hand any time we
>want, by any way we like.

If there is sufficient disk capacity, then this should work just fine.

>We have our secretary as the tape changer :)
>She has very little thing to do, I believe.

Don't forget that some think the maintainace of a shine free nose is
at least as important as sending out the monthly billing.  I've
suffered thru a couple of those in my 68 years...  I've also had the
displeasure of one that thought if her hands weren't dripping with
grease from a hand lotion, it was time to apply some more of it.
Keep that type away from your tapes, at gunpoint if required.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: