Amanda-Users

Re: Backup plan needs advice.

2003-06-24 22:59:56
Subject: Re: Backup plan needs advice.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:53:17 -0400
On Tuesday 24 June 2003 17:01, bao wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>On Tuesday 24 June 2003 12:38, bao wrote:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>After a very long and hard time struggling with Amanda, I figured
>>>out that it's the Athlon bug, and have
>>>switched to an Intel. Now it works.
>>
>>The Athlon Bug?  Sorry, please elucidate on this subject, its
>> entirely new to me as I have been running amanda on an Athlon
>> DX1600 for 2 years with no problems I didn't create.  Likewise for
>> around 3 years on a K6-II and then a K6-III.
>
>This subject, I believed, emerged within a year and a half. It is
>related to the 4MB page
>size that is the default for Linux compiled on an Intel processor,
> but run on Athlon.
>This is the one that we had been experiencing. This caused a kernel
>halt/crash/reboot instantly
>when I ran, first with Tapeware, then with Amanda, and finally with
> tar. It is said to be fixed
>in new kernels, but it still does not work for our Athlon. Too
> tired, we got a new Pentium 4.
>Cool heh ?? :)

Maybe, but then I haven't run the stock kernel except under extreme
duress in 5 years.  I build my own, with the appropriate flags for an
athlon (or a K6) set in the .config.  Currently running a 2.4.21
kernel.

>For more info, go to this link
>http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Linux/35/175/7626960/
>
>>>However, I am still confused of
>>>some things regarding the backup
>>>plan, and hope someone will help me answer them.
>>>
>>>I would like to back up everyday, in incremental, and a weekly
>>> full backup once a week, on a specified
>>>day. Let the full be on Monday, and the incrementals be on the
>>> rest of the week. I now have to configs:
>>
>>I believe the word is two?
>>
>>>1. Weekly: has dumpcycle=0, runspercycle=1, tapecycle=1,
>>>strategy=noinc, index=yes, and record=no
>>>2. Daily:  has dumpcycle=7, runspercycle=6, tapecycle=6,
>>>strategy=nofull, , index=yes, record=yes
>>>
>>>The Weekly full will call amadmin to set to run level 0 before it
>>>runs.
>>>
>>>Q1: If I want the incrementals of a week to follow from that
>>> week's full, how do I set the record??
>>>(Mon : level 0, Tues-Sun : level 1 - backing up any changes from
>>> the most recent Monday)
>>>
>>>Q2. The Weekly full backup will be transferred to tape with a
>>> cycle of 8 tapes, then rotate. What do
>>>I need to copy to tape beside the backup image?? index ?? log ??
>>>debug files ??

Both Q's are probably better answered by someone who has actually done
it.  I have not.  What I'm presently finetuning is a script that runs
after amdump is done, that appends the indices generated by the
making of *that* tape, and the amanda config that generated that
tape, something that is always one tape behind when done by amanda
herself.

>>>Thank you all,

[snip sermon :-)]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M