Amanda-Users

RE: Questions about Amanda

2003-06-09 17:12:57
Subject: RE: Questions about Amanda
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 17:10:25 -0400
>           1. Always that I create a new configuration (ex:
> /etc/amanda/Daily5/amanda.conf), I need to create the directories on
> /var/amanda/Daily5/index/... and others. Could I do this automatic ?

$ cp -R /etc/amanda/Daily5 /etc/amanda/NewConfig
$ cp -R /var/amanda/Daily5 /var/amanda/NewConfig

Then mark all the tapes no-reuse (or remove them) from the new config and
alter the files to suit.

I don't know of a more automatic way to manage confiurations.

>           2. I need to get the backups of all my machines. Do
> I need to
> create a /etc/amanda/Directory/amanda.conf for each of them ?

No, you can just add them to the disklist file that amanda.conf points to.
The example included in the distribution shows several machines being backed
up by one server.

>           3. If I put 'dump cycle' to 5, the partition that
> will be backuped
> wil be divided by 5 and on each day 1/5 of the partition will
> be backuped,
> ok ? What will happen if the machine that is backuped, down
> on the 4  day ?
> Could I restore the 1,2,3 days before it down ?

That's not how backups are divided. If dumpcycle is 5, and runspercycle is
5, then every disk will have a full backup at least every 5 runs. On the
days when a disk doesn't get a full backup. You will be able to restore a
machine up to the last time it was backed up, and if a machine was down on a
day it was supposed to get a backup, the next incremental (or full) backup
will still catch everything that changed, since it's based on the last time
a backup was run on that machine.

>           4. It it possible to add a commando to eject the
> tape after the
> backyp is done ?? What ?

A pair of ampersands between commands (under the bash shell) will run the
second command if the first one succeeds. So this:

$ amdump YourConfig && eject /dev/nst0

Will eject the tape in /dev/nst0 (a common tape device under Linux) if
"amdump YourConfig" ran ok.