Amanda-Users

RE: Multiple backup groups

2003-06-09 17:03:23
Subject: RE: Multiple backup groups
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 17:00:54 -0400
Offsite backups are easy:

$ amadmin YourConfig SomeTape no-reuse

This will mark the tape as being out of the rotation until you

$ amadmin YourConfig SomeTape reuse

You can see which tapes are marked by examining the tapelist file.

As for GFS, why would you want it? AMANDA will pick the best backup levels
for the rotation you've specified, based on the data that needs to be backed
up. If you're paranoid and want to take tapes off site, you can set up the
rotation to allow it. (The changer we used to use had a ten tape magazine,
and we had three magazines. We configured AMANDA to make sure there was a
complete backup every five tapes (every week), across thirty tapes. I always
had one magazine in the changer, one in the safe, and one at the bank. Every
magazine had two complete backup sets, and for critical data, every tape had
a complete backup. No problem.)

For your Oracle database, backing up a complete database dump every night
will provide the most redundancy and fastest restore, but takes a lot of
tape. If you don't have room for that, you could get closer by making the
main dump one disk list entry, and the incremental logs another. AMANDA
would probably bump the main database dump down to an incremental level
where the unchanged dump file wouldn't get backed up, to make room for the
log files that have changed.

[snip]