Amanda-Users

RE: Multiple backup groups

2003-06-09 17:38:00
Subject: RE: Multiple backup groups
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 17:35:50 -0400

>       The problem with the offsite is that I want it to
> include everything
> from both the daily and the weekly database backups.  So the

Right, so if you put both disklist entries in the same AMANDA configuration,
and rotate a week's worth of tapes off-site, you're covered. You do have at
least two week's worth of tapes, I hope.

> disklist is a
> composite of the other two jobs.  If we tried to include the
> Oracle data
> files under the regular daily rotation, they would get backed
> up every day.

Not necessarily. When the backup starts, the planner gets estimates on
different levels of backup for each disk list entry, then picks which level
is appropriate for each entry based on a whole raft of factors like which
ones haven't had full backups the longest, how much tape space is available,
and what the configuration files specify for priority. If one of those disk
list entries is the main database dump, a level 0 (full) backup might be
4Gb, but if that was backed up yesterday, then today's level 1 (incremental)
backup for that DLE might only be 10K. OTOH, the DLE with the log files
would have changed much more since yesterday, and even a level 1 of that
directory would catch the files that have changed since the last tape. So it
would be okay.