Amanda-Users

RE: Multiple backup groups

2003-06-09 19:29:32
Subject: RE: Multiple backup groups
From: Derek Suzuki <DSuzuki AT ZipRealty DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:27:09 -0700
        What we do is flip the database into hot backup mode, which allows
us to make a consistent backup of the live database files.  This is combined
with the snapshot capability of the NetApp so that we don't have to stay in
hot backup mode for more than a minute or so.  Together, this procedure
minimizes the performance impact of the backup and saves us from needing
redundant diskspace to stage the dump (yes, we've tested restores using this
method).
        "Permanent" refers to archival backups that are meant to last longer
than our (fairly short) standard rotation.  It does not imply that the data
will remain intact until the sun turns into a red giant and consumes the
Earth.  After a year or two, they'll probably just be historical
curiosities.