Amanda-Users

RE: Multiple backup groups

2003-06-09 18:23:16
Subject: RE: Multiple backup groups
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:19:51 -0400
Incremental backups are at the file level, like Gnutar (exactly like Gnutar,
if that's the program you're using for backups.)

AFAIK, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Informix, MSSQL, et al cannot restore from a
straight backup of the live database files, and this is never the
recommended method of backup. You should use the utilities provided by the
database vendor to dump a copy of the database to a static file on disk,
then backup that file. I was assuming you were already doing that, and that
this was a database that was only dumped weekly, with incremental logs
appearing daily.

My understanding of Oracle (search the amanda-users archives for details) is
that if you're not dumping the database to a file for your backups, you
essentially don't have backups. (The exception is backup programs that use
the Oracle API rather than the file system.)

The no-reuse option can be used for permanent offsites, but you should add
new tapes to the rotation to keep the number available at the right level.

(Just curious: Does "offsite permanently" mean that they're in the same bin
with the 9-track tapes? Magnetic media doesn't last "permanently" anywhere,
especially on the big magnet we call planet Earth. Might want to plan other
storage systems if you really need "permanent".