Amanda-Users

Re: configure: error

2003-04-11 16:09:46
Subject: Re: configure: error
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "" <hax0r AT maine.rr DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:48:07 -0400
On Fri April 11 2003 11:21,  wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to install amanda backup software on my server and I
> get an error when i run "./configure".
>
>the error is " configure: error: *** --with-user=USER is missing"
>
>can anyone help me in findingout the error and help me in smooth
>installation of this?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Nick

Nick, as has been repeated in the docs, you must have a user who has
exclusive rights to run amanda.  Most just add a user "amanda" and
make amanda a member of group "disk" or "backup" (depends on the
distro)

The obligatory remark about rtfm goes in here someplace :)

Also amanda _must_ be configured and made by this user.  The _only_
time you should work on amanda as root is for the actual "make
install"

Installing amanda really should start with reading the docs and
deciding exactly how you want these things setup, once and forever,
then commit it to a script so *you* don't forget, and copy that
script to each new version you install if you intend to "keep up
with the Jones's" as they come out.

I have a small changer using DDS2 tapes, so my script is a bit
longer than some, reading like this, and calling it anything BUT
configure after setting the x bit:
----------------------
#!/bin/sh
# Many thanks to whomever first posted this first section
# I'm always forgetting to su amanda before doing a configure...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=your.servers.localnet.addr \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda
Obviously the tape device might need to be changed, and the
changer-device removed if you don't have one.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: