Amanda-Users

Re: configure: error

2003-04-11 13:36:37
Subject: Re: configure: error
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: hax0r AT maine.rr DOT com
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:16:38 -0400
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:21:41AM -0400, hax0r AT maine.rr DOT com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install amanda backup software on my server and I get an
> error when i run "./configure".
>
> the error is " configure: error: *** --with-user=USER is missing"
>
> can anyone help me in findingout the error and help me in smooth
> installation of this?

The error message is saying you MUST supply that argument
such as --with-user=amanda (or whomever).

You need to follow the instructions in docs/INSTALL.
The relevant paragraph is:

 F.  Choose which user and group you will run the dumps under.
     Common choices for user are `bin' or another user specifically
     created for Amanda, such as `amanda'; common choices for group
     are `operator' or `disk'.  If you do not specify
     --with-user=<username> and --with-group=<groupname>, configure
     will abort.  Also choose the default name for your
     configuration, such as `csd' or `DailySet1').  This name is
     used by the Amanda commands to choose one of multiple possible
     configurations.  You may specify it using the
     --with-config=<confgname>.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)