Amanda-Users

Re: Onstream ADR50 Block Size

2003-04-11 04:39:34
Subject: Re: Onstream ADR50 Block Size
From: rwk AT americom DOT com
To: paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com
Date: 11 Apr 2003 07:20:58 -0000
> > I am trying to run amanda 2.4.2 on Linux RH8.0 using an Onstream ADR50
> > drive.
> >
> > I am having problems and I have tracked it down to a variable block
> > size issue.  for example, if I do the following:
> >
> >      mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 0
> >      dd if=/etc/termcap of=/dev/nst0 bs=32k
> >      22+1 records in
> >      22+1 records out
> >      dd: closing output file `/dev/nst1': Input/output error
> >
> > It fails to write the last block (which is a short block).  Then I run:
> >
> >      dd if=/dev/nst0 of=/tmp/test bs=32k
> >      dd: reading `/dev/nst1': Input/output error
> >      22+0 records in
> >      22+0 records out
> >
> > and /tmp/test is missing the last part of /etc/termcap.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to solve it.
>

> If the blocksize is indeed the problem, then you have the solution
> already!
> Set the blocksize to variable BEFORE you write to the tape!
> E.g. set something to the machine bootsequence to execute
> "mt ... defblksize 0" and/or make a little "runamdump" command
> that issues a "mt ... setblk 0; amdump yourconfig"... etc.

I *do* setblk 0 before writing.  See above...  "mt setblk 0" then "dd"
to tape.

> > Needless to say it causes amanda to fail.
>
> When it tries to read the tapelabel?  Maybe you have to relabel
> your tapes with the variable blocksize set first.

In fact I do already run "mt defblksize 0" in rc.local and I also have
"mt setblk 0" in my amanda backup script.

Thanks for your suggestions in any case and let me know if you have any
others.

Do you run an adr50 successfully?

Does anyone out there?  If so, please send me your machine HW and SW
config.

Thanks,
Dick