Amanda-Users

Re: Onstream ADR50 Block Size

2003-04-14 14:55:05
Subject: Re: Onstream ADR50 Block Size
From: Chris Whip <chrisw AT drizzle DOT com>
To: rwk AT americom DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:59:55 -0700
On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 01:52:48AM -0000, rwk AT americom DOT com wrote:
> > >If you're still willing to bet your data on such a drive, you can
> > >configure Amanda to put all backups on the holding disk and then
> > > flush them to the tape. By flushing you won't get any writing
> > > time gaps and the backup will succeed.
> >
> > I have to ask, how does one go about doing this?
>
> I second this: how does one go about doing this?
>
> It sounds like the short block issue is not the real culprit, but it
> also sounds like filling the holding disk (of which I have over 80G
> anyway, and the tape holds only 50 at best) will solve the problem
>
> I think I will also run amverify after evry backup as well!

You will need to, yes. It's not an option. We have a SCSI ADR-50, and even
with amflushing every backup, we lose about one backup in twenty for no
apparent reason.

(We ensure amflushing by the simple expedient of not putting the right tape
in. There's probably a better way which lets you get away with accidentally
having an appropriate tape in the drive. I've had other priorities.)

The weird thing is that our setup appeared to work fine until I discovered
that we had a very small amount of holding disk and put in an 80GB drive
for that purpose. I should see if I can recreate those conditions when I next
have time to experiment.

-- Chris