Amanda-Users

Re: Amanada Data Timeout Problem with CygWin

2003-04-08 14:27:49
Subject: Re: Amanada Data Timeout Problem with CygWin
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Brian White <bcwhite AT precidia DOT com>, Enrico Bernardini <enrico AT adm.unipi DOT it>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:02:42 -0400
On Tue April 8 2003 09:44, Brian White wrote:
>> I think you are falling in two problems:
>> 1) [data timeout]: the server does not receive data or EOF for
>> long time
>
>This doesn't seem to be the case since I see constant TCP traffic
> on all sockets.  What seems to be missing is a "size ?????" line
> at the end but it's the server that is closing the connections.
>
>> 2) you are using a lev 1 dump without differences against the
>> lev 0 dump (I guess).
>
>The dump last night was a level-0, but got the same thing.
>

>Unfortunately...  It seems that "make install" was not actually
> overwriting existing executables with changes I was making so I'm
> not sure what is going on.  <sigh>  Back to square one...  I'll
> monitor it again tonight and see what I can learn.

If you've the srcs on disk yet, I'd go about nuking that amanda
install, and redoing it from scratch.  Remember please that amanda
is to be unpacked, configured, and made as the user 'amanda', and
'root' only comes into play when doing the make install step.
Making amanda as root, then installing as root might be whats
happened.

Repairs can sometimes be done by going thru the executables and
rm'ing anything thats owned by root, then cd'ing to the top level
of the directory that amanda's src lives in and doing a

chown -R amanda:disk (or whatever group amanda is a member of on
your system) amanda-2.4.4-20030402 (or whatever version you have
installed ATM.)

This should fix the perms on everything thats already built in the
src dir, and a make install as root should then fix things up.

The other possibility is that you may have some rpm installed
leftovers that are found first in your $PATH. Do an rpm -e --nodeps
on anything that shows up in this lines output:

rpm -qa |grep amanda

or better yet do it all in one line:

rpm -e --nodeps `rpm -qa |grep amanda`

Note that those `` are backticks, usually on the key to the left of
the one on the numerical row, leftmost key.

HTH

--
Cheers Brian, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M