Amanda-Users

Re: Amanada Data Timeout Problem with CygWin

2003-04-04 12:43:32
Subject: Re: Amanada Data Timeout Problem with CygWin
From: Brian White <bcwhite AT precidia DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:23:44 -0500
> > I might be making progress; I'm not sure.
> >
>    [ snip ]
> >
> > So...  Why does the server close (FIN) all three connections only 1 second
> > after opening them?  I can find no messages in the server logs as to why
> > this might have happened.
>
> Don't know my networking and tcpdump, so I'm asking off list.

No problem.  I CC'd the list again, though, because of the new findings
I've included below.

> With ordinary files, after a fork one of the pair of processes will
> often close the file descriptors it does not need.  But this leaves
> them open in the related process.

Under unix, yes.  It seems that under CygWin this behavior is not exactly
the same, though what the full difference is, I can't really say.  When
I removed the close in the calling process, then I got past the original
problem which was the connection getting reset once all the data had
finished passing instead of a proper "fin".

> Does this also happen with the network connections and could your "FIN"
> messages just be closing one of multiple references to the connection?

All three network connections (data, mesg, & index) are closed by the
server for no apparent reason that I saw.

You did give me an idea, though, and I went back in to the tcp dump
and looked at the actual contents going back & forth.  Unfortunately,
I didn't caputer the full packets but the first 40 bytes or so does
indicate that:

 - the amount of "data" sent was very small (471 bytes)
 - the index consisted of only a few directories (109 bytes)
 - the mesg channel ended with "Total bytes written: 10240..." (277 bytes)

The interesting thing is that these three things happened in the reverse
order!  The "Total bytes written" message came first, followed by the
index list followed by the data.  What would the amanda server think of
that?

Perhaps I need to create some more changes or just force a full dump
so there would be more information to pass around?

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite AT precidia DOT com )

The future is not set.  There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.  -- JC