Amanda-Users

Re: freebsd5.0 snapshoting?

2003-04-08 14:27:11
Subject: Re: freebsd5.0 snapshoting?
From: Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis AT pythia.itsp.purdue DOT edu>
To: "Aaron Wohl" <freebsd AT soith DOT com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:13:27 -0500
Hi,

Aaron Wohl wrote:

> How can I get amanda dumps to use snapshoting?  Freebsd with the 5.0
> release can now snapshot its file systems.

[...]

> Before I look into the amanda sources to add this, I was wondering if
> anyone had done it already?

I have done it and it seems to work well.  The big problem with having
dump do the snapshots is that the user running dump must be able to
mount snapshot filesystems.  For me, this meant that amanda clients on
FreeBSD 5.x must be configured to run as root.  That is not the default
for the FreeBSD port.

If you don't mind running the amanda client as root, you can drop the
two files I'm attaching into the /usr/ports/misc/amanda-server/files
directory (even if you are using the amanda-client port) and make
one of the Amanda ports like so:
        make AMANDA_USER=root install

I made no attempt to conditionalize the -L option to dump so you won't
be able to use the patches on non FreeBSD 5.0 systems.  One day soon
I will come up with the magic autoconfigure stuff and submit a patch
to the Amanda maintainers.

-Ben

Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis AT purdue DOT edu>
Database Analyst/Programmer
IT Security and Policy - Computing Accounts
Purdue University