Amanda-Users

Re: SMB backups of windows boxes

2003-04-08 15:26:52
Subject: Re: SMB backups of windows boxes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:48:14 -0400
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 07:29:27PM +0300, Laas Toom wrote:

  [ snip ]

> This looks familiar to me.
>
> Once i had this kind of error. just restore denies that the backup is done
> with dump, though it really was.
>
> I did this:
>
> (i saw, that the file you need is 30th on the tape)
>
> $mt -f norewind-tapedev fsf 30
> $dd if=norewind-tapedev bs=32k of=/direcory/with/lotsof/room/bigfile

   [ manual instructions snipped ]

> To others - can anyone explain me, how is this possible that restore
> woulnd't accept file amrestored from tape, but accepted the file
> amrestored from a file read from tape with dd (they should be the same
> IMHO).

May not be related, but back when I had a cygwin installation of
amanda backing up a w2k system I was surprised I could not do a
recovery on the unix tapehost system.  Part of it was a failure
to find certain programs in the same locations as on the cygwin
box.  So I took care to get copies of the programs in the same
pathname locations as their cygwin counterparts.  Still would
not amrecover on the tapehost.  But I could go to the client
system and do the amrecover from there.  And like you, on the
tapehost, I could extract the dump file from a tape and
manually recover files.

Is your samba host different from your tapehost?  If so,
are you trying the recovery from the samba host?  Maybe
the recovery has to be done on the correct host.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)