Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-20 18:42:01
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
To: Richard Morse <remorse AT partners DOT org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:25:31 -0500
Richard Morse on Thu 20/03 17:16 -0500:
> So, I just wanted to chime in: freebsd is another list
> that doesn't require subscription to send a message.  Why?
> This allows you to say "if you have any questions, please
> email xxxx AT xxxx DOT org".  You don't have to subscribe, you
> don't have to know you're getting to a list, etc.

You still can do this with a subscribers-only list.  Just
make sure the person that mails the list and isn't
subscribed gets an email that says how to subscribe.

> Several technical lists do things this way.

and there is nothing preventing it from happening with a
subscribers-only list.

> Now, is this desired is another question.  Do we want to
> make AMANDA approachable to all users?  Or should we look
> only for those admins who have the technical knowledge to
> subscribe to a mailing list, and understand the
> implications.  I don't know...

"technical knowledge to subscribe to a mailing list?"

if you can't figure it out (and even if you have *never*
used a mailing list, it's trivial to figure out what it is
and the "implications") you have no business being in
control of systems to backup, IMO...I mean that's like
saying you will provide a web interface with a picture of a
keyboard that you can click on, for people that can't figure
out how to press keys instead of using a mouse.

> FWIW, I prefer to let users take care of filtering, and
> make a resource available, but that make be too idealistic
> a point of view for the modern world...

But it's not filtering.  Nothing at all is being filtered
with an only-subscribers-can-post mailing list.  It merely
requires a bidrectional authentication of your email address
before you get the privilege to post.  This is not
unreasonable, it's not moderations, and it's not filtration.