Amanda-Users

Amanda Backup Strategy

2003-02-26 05:55:26
Subject: Amanda Backup Strategy
From: Ralph Bearpark <yahoogroups AT spampot DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 04:10:04 -0500
I have a tapeless back-up config here with 2.4.3.  I have 30 virtual tapes, and
so have amanda.conf values of "dumpcycle 30 days" and "tapecycle 30 tapes"

Now, man amanda tells me that this dumpcycle value should mean that "each disk
using this set of options will get a full backup at least this often" i.e at
least every 30 days.

However, when I look an amoverview I see that several disks are getting a full
backup EVERY OTHER DAY!  What's the idea of this?  I'll grant it's within the
letter of the manual, but it's hardly space-efficient is it?

Is there any way I can force amanda to only do the full backup at most n times
during the dumpcycle?

Also, I see that other disks are getting repeated level 1 incrementals.  I
would be happier if it rather did level 1 then 2 then 3 etc. and no backup if
no files had changed.  Can I specify this behaviour somehow?

I know it will make a full restore a little messier but I simply don't have
unlimited disk space for amanda to use.

Thanks in anticipation for advice.

Regards, Ralph Bearpark.