Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup Strategy

2003-02-26 12:44:41
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup Strategy
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Ralph Bearpark <yahoogroups AT spampot DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:40:46 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 at 10:33am, Ralph Bearpark wrote

> > Not that I know of, but in the 2.4.4 ReleaseNotes it says
> > that it tries to
> > reduce the number of level 0s per host each night.
>
> I guess that *might* help.  I could probably get it down to
> a full backup every week.  Would I just need 2.4.4 on the
> server?  Or the clients too?

Just on the server -- that's the job of planner.

> > If you want amanda to use less disk space, crank down your
> > 'tapelength'.
> > Since you're using diskless backup, you can define whatever
> > size "tapes"
> > you want.
>
> True, but I have 18GB over 30 tapes.  So, to be completely
> safe from Amanda filling the disk with unnecessary full
> backups, I'd have to set the tapelength to 600MB, which,
> unfortunately, wouldn't be enough for any single client full
> backup.

Single *client* or single *disk*?  Remember, you can always split up your
filesystems into multiple disklist entries using tar.  Then you could
reduce your tapelength to have *just enough* to fit everything once.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering